Halloween is a popular holiday in our house. It’s not just the young kids that don the costumes but the grown kids and adults too! Last year my wife Kim and I attended a Halloween party as Pebbles and BamBam! And we love the candy! Boy do we love the candy.
If your kids are like mine, they’re going to come home from trick-or-treating with sack-fulls of candy. And who can blame them? But we all know that the sugary candies that come with Halloween can mean tooth decay. A few years ago I celebrated when I saw grocery markets offering options for Halloween treats. Have you seen those mini treat bags of carrots in the produce section? But let’s face it – no kid wants to come home from a night of trick-or-treating with a bag of vegetables! It only takes a few simple steps for your family to have all the fun of Halloween without compromising your kid’s teeth!
- Teach your kids moderation. They don’t need to over-indulge to enjoy!
- Make sure your kids are brushing their teeth at least twice a day.
- Remind your kids to floss.
- Remember that sticky, chewy candies can cause the most tooth decay. Limit candies like jelly beans, taffy, candy corn and caramels.
- When it comes to gum – choose sugar free! Not only do sugar-free chewing gums neutralize the effects of sugary candy – they help combat cavity-causing plaque.
By teaching your s good oral hygiene, Halloween can be a fun and worry-free holiday. Moderation and good oral hygiene practices are key! Have a fun and healthy Halloween!